You go to office one fine post winter – pre summer morning, with a song on your lips (wait, would that be Hey Ya from Karthik calling Karthik? I can’t help but continue to be enamoured by the way Farhan is and looks and sounds…For a change, I will also grant Deepika some credit. The hairstyle is downright amazing!) So I was saying… one fine day like this you are all full of good intentions for the entire world and then – inhale – comes the spoil sport.
The ever grumpy, the ever over-confident, ever bumptious colleague who can’t get enough of blowing their own trumpet. Such days creep in silently, stick around refusing to end and leave you with a bad taste in the mouth. You argue, you play the blame game, you snort and groan. So much for a day that could have been… oh well.
So instead of allowing them to push your spirits and more down the drain, here’s what you can do:
* Make sure you nod at them amicably once a day. They hate it if they sense being ignored. You will find yourself being badgered all the more if you follow the complete avoidance path.
* Go buy yourself some patience. Not too much of an investment considering the hair loss it can save you. Patience will come in handy when you have to force yourself to lend them an ear at work.
* Keep your pair of headphones handy. When the trumpet seems too loud or too prolonged, music comes melodiously to the rescue.
* Do not speak ill of them to other fellow workers. They may seem to be as fed up with them as you but you never know…Walls have ears too and didn’t they tell you of the time they stared at a wall and it crumbled down in front of their eyes?
* Do not get provoked. You may be tempted to argue back, to cancel out their supposed trail of unparalleled glory by a bit of your own. Do not do it. Ever.
* Add to your list of monosyllabic and silent answers. A simple ‘Hmm’ of feigned acknowledgment goes a long way in warding off an hour-long lecture.
Finally, if nothing works out, take a deep breath and go join the old people in their early morning laughter sessions. Some flies buzzing around your nose are not safe to swat after all.